5 Interesting Facts About Bariatric SurgeryDr. Sudhir Jadhav
Bariatric surgery also known as weight loss / metabolic surgery, has become the treatment of choice for obesity. It gives obese people a new lease of life. But like any other surgery, there are several things that people should know before contemplating bariatric surgery.
Facts About Bariatric Surgery
1. Bariatric Surgery is not same as liposuction surgery
Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure where fat is removed from a certain area whereas bariatric surgery is a metabolic surgery to control obesity & resolve co-morbidities.
2. Bariatric Surgery is not same as Cosmetic Surgery
Cosmetic surgery aims at altering the physical appearance of a person whereas bariatric surgery is a GI surgery based on the manipulation or modification of the gastrointestinal tract performed for weight loss.
3. Bariatric Surgery does not remove fat from your body
Bariatric surgery makes changes to the digestive system by restricting how much you eat or how nutrients are absorbed by the body. It does not remove fat from your body.
4. Bariatric Surgery does not reduce weight in a day or week
Bariatric surgery is a major procedure that is usually permanent and it requires long-term adjustments to your diet and lifestyle resulting in losing weight over a period of few months. It does not reduce weight in a day/week.
5. Bariatric Surgery is metabolic surgery which involves re-routing of the gastro intestinal tract with resultant hormonal changes that result in weight loss and improvement in co morbidities